Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blushing Apples

Peel and core the desired number of apples.
Make a medium syrup of sugar and water, adding 1 tsp fruit coloring.
Bring to a slow boil and add apples.
Cool slowly until apples are tender.
Remove from syrup.
Chill and serve with cream.

Also written in my grandmother's hand and something I have never tasted. I posted this recipe because it raised questions to me - what is a "medium syrup"? Medium hot? Medium consistency? And what is fruit coloring? Did she mean food coloring?

1 comment:

  1. Fruit used to be packed in light, medium or, heavy sugar syrup for canning. I don't recall the percentages as now it is often "in it's own juices" but it would bave been a standatd well known to a generation of woman who were accustomed to putting down their own fruits.

    ReplyDelete