Monday, March 14, 2011

Sweet Pickles

I actually can't stand pickles. I have no interest in pickles. But this recipe, on another very friable piece of paper, caught my attention. I haven't ever made pickles, though my husband usually attempts each year. He doesn't care for sweet pickles and prefers them to be spicy instead. This just seemed like a unique recipe. Then again, someone might post and say, "yes, this is exactly how you would make sweet pickles".

Sweet Pickles

75 small pickles (must be cucumbers... right?) with water and one cup salt and let stand 1 week. Drain and pour on boiling water for 3 mornings. On third morning split the pickled and add 1 Tablspoon alum. On 4th morning heat the following mixture boiling hot.

5 cups vinegar
5 cups sugar
1/2 oz celery seed
1 oz mixed spices
1 oz cinnamon sticks.

Pour over pickles and heat for 3 mornings.

Pickles need not be sealed to keep for at least a year. These pickles are perfect sweet pickles.

**Editorial note - I am so not sure about the statement that these don't need to be sealed to keep for a year. Food safety warning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment