Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bonka's Spaghetti Sauce

When I was a young child, I named my grandmother "Bonka". It stuck. And when I met my great grandmother I termed her, "Big Bonka".

My grandmother, as I have stated previously was not a cook at all. She cooked because she had to. However, there is one single recipe that endures in our family. At least it endured with my mom and while I haven't made it myself because I love my husband's sauce and I fear the ridicule it I pulled out these ingredients intent on making spaghetti sauce.

Truly, it is good. And if it is what you grew up eating as "homemade spaghetti sauce", trust me, it would hold a special place in your heart as well.

"Bonka's Spaghetti Sauce"

20-24 1 cup servings

2-3 lbs ground been
1 lg onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic

(Cook the above in olive oil until the beed is cooked through.)

2 quarts canned tomatoes
1 lg can tomato paste
1 lg can tomato sauce
2 cans tomato soup
5 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can pitted sliced olives
1, 4 oz can mushrooms
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 pinches rosemary

Combined with above in a large kettle and cook slowly for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment